Woman loses all four limbs after eating undercooked fish for dinner

[18-09-2023 01:15 PM]

Ammon News - Laura Barajas contracted a bacterial infection from undercooking tilapia fish in late July. On Thursday, she was forced to undergo a life-saving amputation surgery after spending months in hospital battling the deadly infection.

The mum nearly lost her life when she cooked and ate the fish herself, a friend said. "It's just been really heavy on all of us," Anna Messina said to News 19.

She continued: "It's terrible This could've happened to any of us... she almost lost her life. She was on a respirator."

Laura contracted sepsis after purchasing the fish at a local market in San Jose, California. She is now left with life-changing amputations as she looks to the future with her six-year-old son.

The infection that caused serious problems for Barajas was likely caused by eating tilapia infected with a strain of vibrio vulnificus. Its side effects were nearly fatal.

Earlier this year, three people across New York and Connecticut died from infections this summer linked to vibrio vulnificus. The bacteria is found in seawater or raw shellfish, according to the Department of Public Health.


  • no comments

All comments are reviewed and posted only if approved.
Ammon News reserves the right to delete any comment at any time, and for any reason, and will not publish any comment containing offense or deviating from the subject at hand, or to include the names of any personalities or to stir up sectarian, sectarian or racial strife, hoping to adhere to a high level of the comments as they express The extent of the progress and culture of Ammon News' visitors, noting that the comments are expressed only by the owners.
name : *
show email
comment : *
Verification code : Refresh
write code :