Ronald Koeman sacked by Barcelona


[28-10-2021 03:15 PM]

Ammon News - Ronald Koeman sacked by Barcelona after 14 months in charge with club ninth in La Liga after just four wins from 10 games; Koeman replaced Quique Setien at the Nou Camp in August 2020; he won Copa del Rey in his first season; Barca reportedly holding talks with former midfielder Xavi.

Ronald Koeman has been sacked as head coach of Barcelona after 14 months in charge.

After weeks of speculation, Koeman's final game was the 1-0 defeat by Rayo Vallecano in La Liga on Wednesday night, their fourth defeat in six games in all competitions.

A brief statement was released on the club's website confirming president Joan Laporta had relieved the Dutchman of his duties as first-team coach.

It added: "Ronald Koeman will say goodbye to the squad on Thursday at the Ciutat Esportiva.

"FC Barcelona wishes to thank him for his service to the club and wishes him all the best in his professional career."

Pressure had been building on the Dutchman since a 3-0 defeat at Benfica in late September, which made this season the club's worst-ever start to a Champions League campaign.

They succumbed to a 2-0 away loss to Atletico Madrid in La Liga on October 2, with former forward Luis Suarez scoring the second goal at the Metropolitano Stadium, and they trail league frontrunners Real Madrid by six points in the table.

Their 2-1 loss to Real Madrid at the Nou Camp on October 24 was Koeman's third El Clasico defeat in a row, and after the final whistle, the Barcelona boss was targeted by a crowd of fans who attacked his car as he tried to drive away from the stadium.

After the defeat on Wednesday, Koeman said: "It [Barcelona's league position] says we're not well.

"The team has lost balance in the squad, lost very effective players, which shows. In recent years other clubs have strengthened every season and we haven't, which also shows."

Koeman was appointed in August last year and in his first campaign led Barcelona to third place in La Liga and won the Copa del Rey.

But he has struggled in his second season following the departure of Lionel Messi, who left as a free agent in the summer to join Paris Saint-Germain with financial issues leaving Barcelona unable to afford his wages.

Koeman, who spent six years with Barca as a player, was brought back to the club in August 2020 by former president Josep Maria Bartomeu.

New chief Joan Laporta, however, frequently made it clear that the Dutchman was not his appointment.

The duo had an uneasy relationship, with Koeman last month releasing a statement calling for him to be given time to rebuild after losing Lionel Messi and Antoine Griezmann in the transfer window.

However, that wish was not granted and the club will now seek a replacement for the 58-year-old, with former midfielder Xavi - currently in charge of Al Sadd in Qatar - reportedly in talks over a return to the club.

*SKY




  • no comments

Notice
All comments are reviewed and posted only if approved.
Ammon News reserves the right to delete any comment at any time, and for any reason, and will not publish any comment containing offense or deviating from the subject at hand, or to include the names of any personalities or to stir up sectarian, sectarian or racial strife, hoping to adhere to a high level of the comments as they express The extent of the progress and culture of Ammon News' visitors, noting that the comments are expressed only by the owners.
name : *
email
show email
comment : *
Verification code : Refresh
write code :