Taliban warns NATO to push ahead with troop pullout in Afghanistan


[13-02-2021 11:08 PM]

Ammon News -

he Taliban on Saturday warned NATO against seeking a “continuation of war,” as the alliance weighs a planned withdrawal from Afghanistan.

Defense ministers from the Washington-backed allies are to meet next week to discuss whether NATO’s 10,000-strong mission – mostly carrying out support roles – should stay or go, as Taliban violence rages.

“Our message to the upcoming NATO ministerial meeting is that the continuation of occupation and war is neither in your interest nor in the interest of your and our people,” the Taliban said in a statement.

“Anyone seeking extension of wars and occupation will be held liable for it just like the previous two decades.”

Former US president Donald Trump struck a deal with the Taliban last year under which the United States agreed foreign troops would leave Afghanistan by May 2021 in return for conditions including cutting ties with al-Qaeda and opening peace talks with the Kabul government.

President Joe Biden’s administration has said it would review the deal, with the Pentagon accusing the Afghan insurgent group of not meeting its commitment to reduce violence.

The Taliban in turn have accused the US of breaching the agreement and insisted they will continue their “fight and jihad” if foreign troops do not leave by May.

*AFP




  • no comments

Notice
All comments are reviewed and posted only if approved.
Ammon News reserves the right to delete any comment at any time, and for any reason, and will not publish any comment containing offense or deviating from the subject at hand, or to include the names of any personalities or to stir up sectarian, sectarian or racial strife, hoping to adhere to a high level of the comments as they express The extent of the progress and culture of Ammon News' visitors, noting that the comments are expressed only by the owners.
name : *
email
show email
comment : *
Verification code : Refresh
write code :