Print

COVID-19 risk still exists despite decline in new infections


[3/30/2020 11:27:07 AM]

AMMONNEWS - State Minister for Media Affairs, Amjad Adaileh, on Monday said that the decline seen over the past two days in the number of new COVID-19 infections in the Kingdom does not necessarily mean that the pandemic has started to subside, stressing that "the risk still exists" after 4 deaths were recorded.

Speaking at a midday press briefing, Adaileh emphasized that the next few days are crucial in containing and eradicating the disease, urging the public to abide by health safety rules and advisories issued by the concerned authorities.

The minister, who is also the government spokesman, said authorities have started since the early morning evacuating around 2,000 people from hotels in Amman and the Dead Sea region and transporting them to their homes following a two-week quarantine period.

Around 3,000 people will also be discharged from the quarantine that authorities implemented two weeks ago on all arrivals to the Kingdom. Those leaving the quarantine are required, and have been told, to start another two-week self-quarantine to ensure they are free of the epidemic.

Adaileh urged those leaving the hotels to avoid direct contact with others, and also called on their families and friends not to visit them to preserve their heath and protect community health.

The minister also highlighted the Central Bank of Jordan's decision to allow banks and exchange firms to open today to provide essential and priority services, noting that security agencies have been helping these entities ensure commitment to safety practices and organize visitors' access.

He said there were some observations that some people, especially the elderly, had been unable to access banks because there are no branches close to their residences, which they can only reach by foot, as required by the central bank. Adaileh said this issue will be resolved and a mechanism will be put in place to serve this group.

copy right for ammonnews.net