Ammon News, Sports

Arsenal long way away from Liverpool’s standard, admits coach Arteta after 31-defeat


[9/29/2020 3:48:20 PM]

AMMONNEWS - Liverpool are the best side the Premier League has seen for years but their success did not come overnight and Arsenal have lots of work to do to reach those standards, manager Mikel Arteta said after their 3-1 defeat by Juergen Klopp’s side. Klopp took over at Anfield for the 2015-16 season and has steadily improved the side, delivering the Champions League in 2018-19 followed by the long-awaited English league title last season. Arteta has enjoyed some success since his appointment last season with Arsenal winning the FA Cup, but Monday’s defeat showed the gulf in class between the sides. “We are in a different journey to Liverpool. They’ve been together for five years and they weren’t able to do what they’ve done tonight two or three years ago, that’s for sure,” he said. Read more: Liverpool must improve to stay a step ahead of Premier League rivals, says Klopp Arsenal not haunted by heavy loss in Europa League to Chelsea, says Arteta Financial damage from coronavirus forces Arsenal to cut 55 jobs “They have a lot of good work, a lot of belief in the way they play, great recruitment and they’ve improved the players that they have. This is what we have to try to do. “They set the bar and they’re probably the best standard that the Premier League has seen in many years. This is where we have to get and obviously we’re still a long way from getting there.” Arsenal and Liverpool meet for the second time in a week in the League Cup on Thursday. *Reuters

Read Comments

Taekwondo Federation closes after employee tests positive for COVID-19


[9/27/2020 7:13:37 AM]

AMMONNEWS - The Jordan Taekwondo Federation announced it will be closed for two-week after one of its staff members tested positive for COVID-19. In a statement issued late Saturday, the Federation said that all of its employees are home quarantined, adding that coronavirus tests will be conducted for them.

Read Comments

Coronavirus: October plan for return of sports fans to UK stadiums set for delay


[9/22/2020 2:17:52 PM]

AMMONNEWS - Plans for the controlled return of fans into UK sports stadiums from October 1 are set to be postponed, senior cabinet minister Michael Gove said on Tuesday as new restrictions are brought in to tackle a second wave of COVID-19. “It was the case that we were looking at a staged program of more people returning, it wasn’t going to be the case that we were going to have stadiums thronged with fans,” Gove told BBC TV when asked if the October 1 plan would go ahead. “We’re looking at how we can for the moment pause that program. “We’ve been piloting some open air venues and we do want to be able in due course to allow people to return to watch football and other sporting events but it is the case that we just need to be cautious at the moment and I think a mass reopening at this stage wouldn’t be appropriate.” For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app The government had been planning to allow 25-33 percent capacities from October 1, giving sports a funding boost after months of empty stadiums. Confirmation of the change of tack is expected to come later on Tuesday but local media reported sports’ governing bodies are resigned to it and are preparing a request for more financial help. Read more: Coronavirus: UK advises people to work from home as COVID-19 spreads The Rugby Football Union had hoped to have around 20,000 fans at Twickenham for England’s game against the Barbarians on October 25 but have now suspended ticket sales. Although the risk of spreading the virus sitting at outdoor stadiums is considered relatively low, the bigger concern is the amount of time crowds will be close together travelling to and from events, and entering the stadiums and refreshment areas. “The virus is less likely to spread outdoors than indoors but then again it’s in the nature of sporting events that there’s a lot of mingling,” Gove said. “We also recognize that sport is a vital part of the life of this nation and we’re looking at everything that we can do to support our athletes, our great clubs through what will be a challenging time.” *Reuters

Read Comments

Coronavirus: Man City’s Gundogan tests positive for COVID-19


[9/22/2020 2:14:28 PM]

AMMONNEWS - Manchester City midfielder Ilkay Gundogan has tested positive for coronavirus, the Premier League club said on Monday, making him the third player in the squad to return a positive test in recent weeks. City winger Riyad Mahrez and defender Aymeric Laporte previously tested positive for the novel coronavirus earlier this month. Visit our dedicated coronavirus site here for all the latest updates. “Ilkay is now observing a 10-day period of self-isolation in accordance with Premier League and UK Government protocol on quarantine,” the club said in a statement. For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app. Gundogan is likely to miss three matches for City while he self-isolates, including Monday’s league clash against Wolverhampton Wanderers, Thursday’s League Cup tie against Bournemouth and Sunday’s league game against Leicester City. *Reuters

Read Comments

Coronavirus: PSG star Neymar tests positive for COVID-19, sources say


[9/4/2020 1:05:51 PM]

AMMONNEWS - Neymar is one of three Paris Saint-Germain stars to have contracted the coronavirus, a well-placed source told AFP on Wednesday, after the Champions League runners-up announced several positive tests. “Three Paris Saint-Germain players have confirmed positive Sars CoV2 tests and are subject to the appropriate health protocol,” PSG said in a statement. Read the latest updates in our dedicated coronavirus section. “All of the players and coaching staff will continue to undergo tests in the coming days.” When contacted by AFP, the club declined to confirm the identity of the players in question. But the source replied “yes” when asked if Neymar was one of those to test positive, along with teammates Angel Di Maria and Leandro Paredes, as had earlier been reported by French sports daily L’Equipe. The cases would appear to be linked to a holiday trip to the Spanish Mediterranean island of Ibiza that several PSG players took following the Champions League final defeat by Bayern Munich. The news is a setback to the French champions’ preparations for the scheduled start of their Ligue 1 campaign next week, with a game away at Lens set for September 10 but possibly now at risk of being postponed. PSG had already said on Monday that two unnamed players had reported back with coronavirus symptoms following a holiday. L’Equipe reported the players in question at the time were Argentinian duo Di Maria and Paredes. Those two, and Neymar, were among several players who travelled to Ibiza following the Champions League final, mixing with friends and family after spending the previous weeks isolated in a secure sanitary ‘bubble’ with teammates in Portugal. *AFP

Read Comments

Sepp Blatter questioned in Swiss investigation into alleged FIFA corruption


[9/2/2020 7:32:20 AM]

AMMONNEWS - Former FIFA president Sepp Blatter was questioned Tuesday by Swiss investigators about a $2 million payment he authorized in 2011 to then-UEFA president Michel Platini. Blatter was quizzed about suspected criminal mismanagement at FIFA one day after Platini spent about three hours at the offices of Switzerland’s federal prosecutors. The 84-year-old Blatter waved as he arrived in Bern with his lawyer, Lorenz Erni. A criminal proceeding has been open against Blatter since the allegation was revealed in September 2015, though it was extended to Platini only three months ago. Blatter has also been a suspect since May in a second allegation linked to $1 million of FIFA money gifted in 2010 into the control of now-disgraced Caribbean soccer leader Jack Warner. Blatter has long denied wrongdoing during his 18-year FIFA presidency. His term ended following American and Swiss investigations of corruption in international soccer. Platini was favored to succeed his former mentor in a February 2016 election until the $2 million allegation ended his campaign. Blatter instructed FIFA to pay Platini after the French soccer great asked for deferred salary from a decade earlier. Platini had been an adviser in Blatter’s first presidential term from 1998-2002. The FIFA ethics committee and the Court of Arbitration for Sport ruled there was no valid verbal or written contract to pay the money. Both men were banned from working in soccer by the FIFA ethics committee and removed from office. Blatter’s six-year ban expires next October. *AP

Read Comments

NBA players boycott playoffs, consider ending season over systemic racism


[8/29/2020 3:43:09 PM]

AMMONNEWS - NBA teams forced the league to postpone playoff games scheduled for Wednesday night after players agreed to boycott in response to the recent police shooting of a Black man and racial injustice across the United States. Teams are currently in the first round of playoffs for the league championship, but the Milwaukee Bucks players came to the decision to boycott Wednesday’s game after a 29-year-old Black man was shot seven times by a policeman over the weekend in Wisconsin. “We fully support our players and the decision they made,” the Bucks owners said in a statement. The owners said they did not know beforehand of the decision, but that they “wholeheartedly agreed” with the players. “The only way to bring about change is to shine a light on the racial injustices that are happening in front of us,” the statement read. Players across the league united and took the decision to follow suit and the NBA announced the postponement of the other two games scheduled for the night. An assistant coach for the Oklahoma City Thunder, who are also in the playoffs, said the rest of the season was up in the air. “Season might be over,” the assistant told Al Arabiya English, adding that players were contemplating the move. Black players make up the majority of NBA teams, but all players have been wearing messages on their warm-up jerseys and game jerseys to raise awareness over the racial injustice in the country. Past and present players are all speaking out about the issue. Jacob Blake was the latest Black man to be shot by police officers. Black Lives Matter protests erupted across the US earlier this summer after George Floyd was killed by a white police officer who dug his knee into Floyd’s neck for more than seven minutes. After the shooting of Blake on Sunday night, protesters took to the streets across Wisconsin and other states. On Tuesday, a white man was seen brandishing his semi-automatic rifle before he’s believed to have shot and killed two people. A 17-year-old man was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of first-degree intentional homicide. According to witness accounts and video footage, police apparently let the gunman walk past them and leave the scene with a rifle over his shoulder and his hands in the air as members of the crowd were yelling for him to be arrested because he had shot people. As for how the gunman managed to leave the scene, Sheriff David Beth portrayed a chaotic, high-stress situation, with screaming, chanting, nonstop radio traffic and people running all over — conditions he said can cause “tunnel vision” among law officers. The sheriff told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that militia members or armed vigilantes had been patrolling Kenosha’s streets in recent nights, but he did not know if the gunman was among them. However, video taken before the shooting shows police tossing bottled water from an armored vehicle to what appear to be armed civilians walking the streets. And one of them appears to be the gunman. *Al Arabiya

Read Comments
123456