Ammon News - The United States and Iran signed a Memorandum of Understanding in June, aiming to stop hostilities and pave the way for a “final deal” within 60 days to end the war on all fronts and settle complicated issues such as Tehran’s nuclear program.
The 60-day window ended at midnight, with nothing concrete agreed so far. Both sides have accused each other of violating the temporary agreement and multiple flare-ups have escalated the conflict in the Middle East.
The 14-point framework, brokered mainly by Pakistan with the support of other neighboring nations, was signed by US President Donald Trump and Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian on June 17.
The interim agreement came after more than three months of deadly conflict that severely disrupted Gulf trade, especially oil and gas exports.
The agreement included provisions for reopening the Strait of Hormuz, easing some financial restrictions on Iran and outlining expectations for future talks on Iran’s nuclear program.
However, it soon fractured with disputes over the strait, leading to renewed military strikes at the end of June.
On July 8, Trump said the MOU was “over.”
With US weapon stockpiles dwindling and no permanent resolution in sight, he now risks drawing the US into yet another “Forever War.”
Trump has made it clear that inflicting economic pain on Iran is part of Washington’s current strategy.
“We are just watching Iran with its huge inflation and the fact they have no money,” he said earlier this month.
Tehran, however, remains steadfast. On Saturday, Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said no decision has been made on whether to resume negotiations with the US.
Responding to Trump’s recent threat to declare the strait a US territory after “we finish defeating Iran,” Araghchi said that it “cannot be seized with a tweet.”
Strikes between US forces and Iran have paused, but violence by Iran-backed groups in the region persists.