Scattered Clouds
clouds

18 April 2024

Amman

Thursday

71.6 F

22°

Home / Editor's Choice

China lowers death toll in Shanxi coal mine disaster to 82

24-05-2026 10:38 AM


Ammon News - The chaos in the aftermath of China's worst mine disaster in 17 years led to a revision in the death toll to 82 ​killed, local officials said at a press conference late on Saturday.

The ‌people died in a gas explosion at the Liushenyu coal mine in China's northern province of Shanxi late on Friday. Initially state media reports said at least 90 people were killed.

Even ​at the lower number, the incident remains China's deadliest mining accident since 2009, ​when a gas explosion at the Xinxing Mine in Heilongjiang province ⁠killed 108 people.

Local officials said at the press conference the initial death ​toll from state media had been tallied in error.

"After the incident the scene was ​chaotic, the company's count of the number of workers was not clear, which led to the initial inaccurate number," Guo Xiaofang, the head of Shanxi's Qinyuan county, where the mine ​is located, said.

There were 247 workers on duty underground at the time of ​the explosion.

Two people remained unaccounted for, Guo said, while 128 were injured and hospitalised and ‌35 ⁠were uninjured.

The Liushenyu mine is owned by Shanxi Tongzhou Coal Coking Group and all four of its mines have been closed and company executives detained, local officials said at the news conference.

State-run newspaper the People's Daily published an editorial on ​the accident on ​its front page ⁠on Sunday morning calling for greater attention to safety in production and to "completely reverse the tendency to prioritise development over ​safety."

President Xi Jinping on Saturday had called for authorities to "spare ​no effort" ⁠in treating the injured and conducting search and rescue operations, according to Xinhua. He also ordered an investigation into the incident.

The mine has a production capacity of ⁠1.2 million ​tons of coal per year, officials said at the ​press conference. China last year mined 4.83 billion tons of the fuel, which forms the backbone ​of its power sector.

Reuters




No comments

Notice
All comments are reviewed and posted only if approved.
Ammon News reserves the right to delete any comment at any time, and for any reason, and will not publish any comment containing offense or deviating from the subject at hand, or to include the names of any personalities or to stir up sectarian, sectarian or racial strife, hoping to adhere to a high level of the comments as they express The extent of the progress and culture of Ammon News' visitors, noting that the comments are expressed only by the owners.
name : *
email
show email
comment : *
Verification code : Refresh
write code :