Jordan, Germany condemn Aqaba rocket attack, Peres saddened | Editor's Choice | Ammon News



Jordan, Germany condemn Aqaba rocket attack, Peres saddened


[8/2/2010 12:00:00 AM]

AMMONNEWS -- Jordan on Monday strongly condemned as a terrorist act, a rocket attack from outside Jordanian territory on the port city of Aqaba claiming the life of a Jordanian citizen and injuring five others.

State Minister for Media Affairs and Communications Ali Al Ayed strongly denounced the attack which claimed the life of an innocent Jordanian citizen and injured five others.

"Jordan condemns this criminal and terrorist attack which is a useless act that serves only suspicious agendas," he added.

Jordan, Al Ayed said, will continue to stand in the way of terrorism which targets innocents and civilian places and will continue its fight against blind terrorism.

He noted that security forces are investigating the attack to determine its circumstances.

Meanwhile, Israeli President Shimon Peres expressed sadness over Jordanians injured and killed in the rocket attack that blasted Aqaba Monday morning.

"Jordan and Israel are working together in the fight against terror," Peres said on Monday in reaction to the rocket attacks in the Red Sea port cities of Aqaba and Eilat, The Jerusalem Post reported.

"There is a real battle in the Middle East between the peace camp, and the extremist camp who want to destroy any chance of peace," Peres added.

Knesset member Uri Ariel (National Union) also reacted to the rocket attacks, saying that "before Egypt can host peace talks, it must act to eradicate terror within the country," said Ariel.

Germany on Monday also condemned the rocket strikes on Aqaba and Eilat.

"The incident shows once again how important it is, for all people in the Middle East, to reach a negotiated, sustainable peace agreement," said government spokesman Christoph Steegmans.

The German government called on those involved in the Middle East peace process to continue their efforts in reaching a settlement, DPA reported.

"The parties should not be misled by the provocations of radical forces," Steegmans added.

A Grad type rocket had struck the southern Jordanian port city of Aqaba in front of the Intercontinental Hotel at 7:45 AM. The attack killed one person and injured four others.

No group claimed responsibility for attack yet. Meanwhile, Israeli officials speculate that the rocket projectile from the south, in indication that they were launched from Egypt's Sinai Peninsula. Egyptian authorities however denied that the rockets could have been launched from its territories where Egyptian security forces maintain heavy presence.

Jordanian officials had said earlier on Monday that initial probe indicates that the rockets were launched from outside of Jordan, probably from the west.

* Agencies

** Reuters photo: Wreckage of cars damaged by a rocket attack is seen at a hotel area in the Jordan's Red Sea city of Aqaba August 2, 2010.

  • Name: *
  •  
  • Email:
  •  
  • Comment: *

  •